The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group on Design of Communication (SIGDOC) is seeking an editor-in-chief and institutional home for its peer-reviewed scholarly publication Communication Design Quarterly (CDQ).
Communication Design Quarterly is published four times a year (Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall) and publishes research articles, commentaries, case histories/studies, teaching approaches, and annotated bibliographies on applied research and theory related to the area of communication design – writ large (e.g., usability and user experience design, technical and professional communication, information design, etc.). This editorial position is an executive committee appointment, and the editor-in-chief would serve as a voting member on SIGDOC’s Executive Board.
The new editor-in-chief should be
- An accomplished scholar with a research agenda that focuses on or a background related to communication design (e.g., usability studies and user experience design, technical communication, information design, etc.)
- A tenured member of the faculty at her or his institution
- An individual who is conversant with and committed to the goals of the organization
Note: While applicants do not need to be current members of ACM SIGDOC, the selected editor will need to become a member of SIGDOC (if not already one) prior to assuming the editorship of CDQ.
Responsibilities of Editor-in-Chief
The duties of the editor-in-chief will include
- Representing the publication at different events (e.g., the SIGDOC annual conference)
- Soliciting manuscripts for the publication
- Receiving manuscripts submitted for publication consideration
- Working with authors to develop manuscripts for publication consideration
- Identifying reviewers for manuscripts and coordinating the peer review process
- Sharing peer reviews with authors
- Making final publication decisions for all manuscripts
- Communicating with authors and answering journal-related questions
- Supervising an editorial production team
- Sending proof pages to authors for review prior to publication
- Reviewing final copy prior to official publication of an issue
Duration of Commitment
The new editor-in-chief would
- Serve an initial 3-year term with the prospects of being appointed to serve a second 3-year term.
- Be available to begin working with the CDQ editorial staff starting in September of 2016
The first CDQ issue to be produced by the new editor-in-chief would be the Winter/February 2017 issue.
Process for Applying
Interested candidates should submit an application packet consisting of the following materials:
- A current CV
- A 250-350 word statement of the applicant’s vision for CDQ
- 3 letters of reference (one of which should note the individual’s abilities to serve as an editor)
- A letter of support from the chair of the individual’s home department
- Examples of past editorial work/prior scholarly editing projects (if possible)
Application packets should be sent to Kirk St.Amant, Chair of the CDQ Editorial Search Committee, by 15 June 2015.
Requests for Information
Questions or requests for more information should be directed to Kirk St.Amant at email@example.com