Published on October 4, 2021
The Technical Communication faculty in the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts on the Polytechnic Campus at Arizona State University invite applications for an Assistant Professor position in Technical Communication, with specialization in User Experience, Data Visualization or Social/New Media. Expectations for this position include: teaching undergraduate and graduate courses; engaging in research applicable to technical communication; practicing inclusive teaching and mentoring; and providing service to the unit, college, and university. Teaching load is typically two (2) courses per semester. Course load and composition are determined by the faculty head. This is an academic-year appointment with an expected start date of August 2022. The Assistant Professor position is a benefits-eligible appointment with tenure implications. Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience.
The Technical Communication program is home to vibrant and innovative scholars, teachers, and students. We value the freedom to work interdisciplinarily with faculty throughout the university in a wide range of research areas that help advance the knowledge of students, support practitioner work, and improve the lives of users. We value the intellectual collaborations we have cultivated with other units at ASU. Alongside various partnerships with the School of Sustainability, Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation, and WP Carey School of Business, we co-administer a MS in User Experience with Fulton School of Engineering. In addition to our MS in UX, we currently offer an MS, BS, minor, and graduate certificate in Technical Communication, as well as two recently approved concentrations in Data Visualization and New Media. The Technical Communication program houses the CRUX lab, where faculty and students engage in impactful communication and UX research using state-of-the-art resources, including an eye-tracking system.
Arizona State University has developed a model for the New American University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access, and impact. ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves. ASU has been named #1 in the United States for innovation for seven consecutive years, the #1 Coolest School by the Sierra Club in 2021, and a Top 10 Best Buy public university by Fiske Guide to Colleges 2021.
Arizona State University is committed to accelerating meaningful change in its diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts at all levels. We have instituted several important initiatives, including ASU LIFT (https://president.asu.edu/commitment), which seeks to enhance growth and opportunity for Black undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff. LIFT also broadens ASU’s academic offerings, community services, and collaborative relationships to benefit all underrepresented groups and individuals at ASU.
ASU’s College of Integrative Sciences and Arts is home to innovative teachers and researchers who are guided by educational access, student success, applied learning, and interdisciplinary inquiry. CISA has over 7,300 students and over 300 faculty members. We understand that there are many paths to achieving a university education, and we build undergraduate and graduate degree programs and pathways that are flexible and relevant for a rapidly changing world. CISA values cultural and intellectual diversity and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of our academic community.
- Terminal degree in technical communication, user experience, or related field at time of appointment
- Ability to teach in both immersion (classroom) and online environments (incl. synchronous and asynchronous)
- Evidence of commitment to meeting the needs of diverse or underrepresented student/community populations via research, teaching, mentoring, or service
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Potential to secure external research funding
- Record of publishing or potential for publishing in peer-reviewed journals in technical communication
- Scholarly trajectory that considers the economic, social, cultural, and/or overall health of the communities it serves
- Experience teaching graduate and/or undergraduate courses in technical communication, particularly courses with a focus on user experience, data visualization, and/or social/new media
- Experience teaching in digital environments (incl. synchronous and asynchronous) using Canvas or similar tools
- Research, teaching, mentoring, or service experience that foregrounds intersections between the TC specializations listed above and diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Record of pursuing external research funding
- Technical communication industry experience or interest in establishing relationships with industry partners
Application Instructions Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications should be submitted at http://apply.interfolio.com/95261 and must contain:
- Letter of interest including a discussion of research interests and teaching philosophy/practice.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to social justice, diversity, equity and/or inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence (max two single-spaced page)
- Graduate degree transcript(s) – unofficial is acceptable at the time of application
- Information for three professional references (their position, title, e-mail, phone number)
The application deadline is 11/8/2021 at 5pm Arizona Time; and if not filled, then every Friday thereafter until the search is closed. Official Transcripts and a background check are required prior to first day of employment. For technical assistance with your application, please contact Amanda.Kahler@asu.edu. For position-related questions, please contact Search Committee Chair Dr. Claire Lauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.